DID YOU KNOW?
- The average airspeed of the common housefly is 7.24 kilometres per hour. A housefly beats its wings about 20,000 times per minute.
- The animal responsible for the most human deaths worldwide is the mosquito.
- The animal with the largest brain in proportion to its size is the ant.
- The average bee can travel up to 17.7 kilometres per hour.
- House flies, on average, live for only two weeks.
- The life expectancy of a queen bee is 6 years, a worker bee wears out its wings within 6 months, and a drone survives just 8 weeks.
- Some spiders can travel up to 1. 88 kilometres per hour.
- The caterpillar has more than 2,000 muscles.
- The fastest insect on record that has been reliably measured is the Australian dragon fly, which has a top speed of around 57 km/h.